Tuesday, September 21, 2010

She's Here!

Layla, our little diva, made the decision to arrive a little early. Not enough to worry, but just enough to throw a wrench into our birth plans!

I was scheduled for a c-section on Mon 9/13 to deliver. We chose this route based on some of my own health issues, for my safety, so Tim and I opted not to try any regular delivery.

We had seen no signs of labor, despite hearing several times that I may go early. So, our bags were packed and in our minivan for approx. 3 weeks. Sunday, the night before we were scheduled, we decided to go out for a nice dinner and enjoy our last evening as "singles". My dad and his wife met us out, and I had a nice steak and lobster dinner. When the bill came, I asked Tim to pull the car up to the door b/c I didn't feel like walking all the way to the car. He went outside, and I stood up with my dad....and my water broke. I sat back down and stood up 3 times, and was soaked from waist to knee. And did I mention that we took Tim's car to dinner? So all of our stuff was in the other car. And the dog was still at the house (planned to drop her off the next morning). His parents took care of getting the dog and our bags settled, God love them, and we headed to the hospital.

When we got to the hospital, the nurse said I was dialated to 3cm, and completely effaced. But, because I had just eaten a full meal, anesthesia wouldn't touch me. So, I had to labor for almost 6 hours before they were willing to put in my spinal and do my c-section. I wasn't prepared for labor, but seemed to do better than I thought I would. I got to 6 cm and contractions two at a time on top of one another before I finally got my spinal. That was heaven. And I can confirm, not as bad as I expected. I was more nervous about flinching during a contraction and being injured than the actual spinal. They numbed the site first, it felt like 2 bee stings. I didn't feel any of the rest. They had given me something to dull the pain through my IV, and it helped for a little while, but I was so frustrated with having to go through labor that I know I didn't deal too well.

Finally, at 1 AM, my doc got to the hospital, he was just coming on call, and I was excited to know that he would get to deliver the baby. Everything went great in the delivery room, and Tim watched the entire thing. Baby Layla arrived at 1:22 AM, 7 lbs 12.4 oz and 19" of perfection. I know I am biased, but I have never seen something more adorable in my life! She scored 9 and then 10 on the Apgars - our little over-achiever! (Our pediatrician will tell you that only obstetrician's kids get 10s!


  1. I love her!! so stinkin cute! At least you can say you actually went through labor :) Miss you and will see you in a few weeks!

  2. And you look pretty damned good for just having gone through all that! Hey, you look pretty damn good period! And your little diva is absolutely perfect.